In 1866, a small group of freed African Americans left the balcony of the Deep Run Baptist Church to establish their own place for worship. That group met on the land of Mr. & Mrs. Leroy Vandervall where they worshipped under a bush arbor and later in the Vandervall smokehouse.
Mr. & Mrs. Vandervall donated land and logs to build the first sanctuary. Out of hew logs, Mr. Frederick Morse, Sr., erected the sanctuary. The letters “Quioccasin” were found carved on a tree on an old Indian trail near the Vandervall home. In 1866, the group decided to be known as Quioccasin Baptist Church. Later the same name was officially selected for the road in front of the church. In 1867, the congregation with their minister Reverend Royal Smith held their first worship service in the new sanctuary. In 1872, the congregation purchased an acre of land and in 1929 another acre was purchased. These two acres of land comprise the current site on which the second church sanctuary was built.
On the first Sunday in February 1952, the church building was destroyed by fire and services were held in the old Quioccasin Elementary School at the corner of Pemberton & Quioccasin Roads. In June 1952, the first worship service was held in the basement of the present church building. And, on Easter Sunday morning in 1954, the congregation held its worship service in the main sanctuary. The present church building was erected by Mr. George Gee of the Arlington Construction Company.
Christian Education has been a integral function of Quioccasin Baptist Church for many years. Reverend Dr. George Ambrose, Sr. established the first vacation Bible school with more than 100 attendees in 1952. Sunday schools met each Sunday at Quioccasin and in satellite location in community halls. Rev. Ambrose is credited with centralizing the Sunday Schools to meet at the church.
Dr. Grady W. Powell emphasized youth participation and fellowship with the local association, Sunday school union, and the Baptist General Convention of Virginia. The Baptist Young People’s Training Union met each Sunday to prepare and instruct young Christians in the history, disciplines and doctrines of the church. Christian Education training included literacy recitations, music, panel discussions, skits and talent presentations.
The first Board of Christian Education was implemented in 1966 under the pastorate of the Reverend Murphy H. Peterson, Sr. The thematic statement “Physical Fitness Essential to Christian Growth and Service” was stressed for all outdoors activities to enhance the ministry. A full-scale state of the art outdoor recreational area was developed to include the following: table tennis, basketball court, jungle bars, merry-go-round, swings, badminton, volley ball, and horseshoe equipment.
Throughout the years, Quioccasin has maintained a very active scouting program for boys and girls.
Reverend Joe B. Fleming reinstated the Board of Christian Education with emphasis on activities for an age-span ministry. An extensive tutorial program was established, which formed a partnership between the school, parents, students and the church. The Summer Day Camp and senior citizens ministry was also started. During this perios, Quioccasin was involved in the metro ecumenical ministry ‘FISH” (For Immediate Sympathetic Help) that included participation form the youth and adult. During Revernd Fleming’s administration one of our youth attended the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. This was the first time that a youth from Quioccasin had attended that convention. Additionally, the church successfully moved from single staff to multi-staff office personnel. This was a period when there was also a strong emphasis on social-concerns.
In the late 1990s, Quioccasin Baptist continued to be an example to other church's in the area. It became one of the first the churches to publish a website, whose domain name has stayed the same throughout the years. Deacon George Willcox's service was integral to going online and his presence on the deacon board has inspired the church to stay on the cunning edge.
In 2004, the congregation, under the pastorate of Rev. Dr. Andrew M. Mosley, Jr., erected a multiple purpose building that seats 400 people for banquet events and includes a full size basketball court. This multiple purpose building serves as a tool for ministry. On Sunday, October 8, 2017, the building was renamed the Andrew M. Mosley, Jr., Enrichment Center.
Quioccasin Baptist Church has been served by nine dynamic, strong and influential pastors’ since its beginning. Following Reverend Royal Smith (the first pastor) were Rev. Warrenton Banks, Rev. O. C. Perkins, Dr. George Ambrose, Jr., Dr. Grady W. Powell, Rev. Murphy H. Peterson, Rev. Joe B. Fleming, and Rev. Dr. Andrew M. Mosley, Jr. The current pastor is Rev. Dr. Theodore T. Brown.